Remembering those who served
War veterans visited Scouts in Huntingdonshire to help them understand the significance and importance of Remembrance Sunday. About 50 Cubs and Scouts from the First Fenstanton and Hilton Scout Group, as well as helpers and leaders, gathered in St Ives to
War veterans visited Scouts in Huntingdonshire to help them understand the significance and importance of Remembrance Sunday.
About 50 Cubs and Scouts from the First Fenstanton and Hilton Scout Group, as well as helpers and leaders, gathered in St Ives to hear their experiences and stories.
Veterans speaking at the event included Bill Bridge, who served in the Second World War, Warrant Officer Mick Gentry, who fought in the Gulf War in 1991, and Corporal Dan Kirk RM, who spoke about his experiences during the Gulf War in 2003.
A spokesman for the Scout group said: "The Cubs and Scouts all came away with a much greater understanding of why taking part in the act of remembrance is something which they should all do with pride, and are looking forward to attending the service in Fenstanton on November 11."
You may also want to watch:
The scouts were also able to look at a variety of war-related objects including campaign maps, ration books, identity cards, shells, photos, wartime posters and gas masks.
Scouts played an important role during the world wars, serving in ambulance units, air raid patrols and other civilian services.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 7 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
* First Fenstanton and Hilton Scouts George and Jack learning the importance of Remembrance Sunday. Picture: SUPPLIED