Remembering those who served
War veterans visited Scouts in Huntingdonshire to help them understand the significance and importance of Remembrance Sunday. About 50 Cubs and Scouts from the First Fenstanton and Hilton Scout Group, as well as helpers and leaders, gathered in St Ives to
War veterans visited Scouts in Huntingdonshire to help them understand the significance and importance of Remembrance Sunday.
About 50 Cubs and Scouts from the First Fenstanton and Hilton Scout Group, as well as helpers and leaders, gathered in St Ives to hear their experiences and stories.
Veterans speaking at the event included Bill Bridge, who served in the Second World War, Warrant Officer Mick Gentry, who fought in the Gulf War in 1991, and Corporal Dan Kirk RM, who spoke about his experiences during the Gulf War in 2003.
A spokesman for the Scout group said: "The Cubs and Scouts all came away with a much greater understanding of why taking part in the act of remembrance is something which they should all do with pride, and are looking forward to attending the service in Fenstanton on November 11."
You may also want to watch:
The scouts were also able to look at a variety of war-related objects including campaign maps, ration books, identity cards, shells, photos, wartime posters and gas masks.
Scouts played an important role during the world wars, serving in ambulance units, air raid patrols and other civilian services.
- 1 Murder most foul in village's historical records
- 2 St Ives schoolboy looking to claim national title with Kettering Town
- 3 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 4 Hundreds sign petition to get drains cleared in Buckden after more flooding
- 5 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 6 Matt Hancock at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 7 Man dies following collision near Bluntisham
- 8 Read about the interesting history of the village of Broughton
- 9 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 10 Family pets and beautiful wildlife for our Readers Photos this week
* First Fenstanton and Hilton Scouts George and Jack learning the importance of Remembrance Sunday. Picture: SUPPLIED