Regret but no surprise in bookshop's demise
I CANNOT agree with the letter saying the town is in need of a good bookshop. We have Walkers, which has a very good selection of books, not just best sellers. The staff are very friendly and they can order any books they do not have in stock. When WH Smi
I CANNOT agree with the letter saying the town is in need of a good bookshop. We have Walkers, which has a very good selection of books, not just best sellers. The staff are very friendly and they can order any books they do not have in stock.
When WH Smith, who sell only best sellers arrived, my wife and I said it would eventually be the end of Walkers, which has proved us right.
As for bookshops selling CDs, DVDs and computer games, I grew up when food shops sold food, you had greengrocers, butchers, fishmongers, record shops and bookshops selling what they were known for. That is why it was refreshing to see Walkers when they came to St Ives, as they are a proper bookshop. They will be missed. Do we really need another ladies' clothes shop?
Until the New Year you could buy your CDs, DVDs and computer games from Woolworths, so I presume your correspondent didn't go in there.
I totally agree with John Davies and Doug Dew that we do not need an amusement arcade. St Ives is a market town not a seaside town, and I wonder what sort of people would it attract should it go ahead? Here we are losing good shops and, if Huntingdon is anything to go by, we shall end up with an amusement arcade. Has the world gone loopy?
- 1 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 4 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 5 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 6 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 7 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
- 8 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives