Regret but no surprise in bookshop's demise
I CANNOT agree with the letter saying the town is in need of a good bookshop. We have Walkers, which has a very good selection of books, not just best sellers. The staff are very friendly and they can order any books they do not have in stock. When WH Smi
I CANNOT agree with the letter saying the town is in need of a good bookshop. We have Walkers, which has a very good selection of books, not just best sellers. The staff are very friendly and they can order any books they do not have in stock.
When WH Smith, who sell only best sellers arrived, my wife and I said it would eventually be the end of Walkers, which has proved us right.
As for bookshops selling CDs, DVDs and computer games, I grew up when food shops sold food, you had greengrocers, butchers, fishmongers, record shops and bookshops selling what they were known for. That is why it was refreshing to see Walkers when they came to St Ives, as they are a proper bookshop. They will be missed. Do we really need another ladies' clothes shop?
Until the New Year you could buy your CDs, DVDs and computer games from Woolworths, so I presume your correspondent didn't go in there.
You may also want to watch:
I totally agree with John Davies and Doug Dew that we do not need an amusement arcade. St Ives is a market town not a seaside town, and I wonder what sort of people would it attract should it go ahead? Here we are losing good shops and, if Huntingdon is anything to go by, we shall end up with an amusement arcade. Has the world gone loopy?
- 1 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 2 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 3 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 4 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 5 Entrepreneur and family businessman Philip Lalor has died
- 6 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 7 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 8 Fire service set to step in with vaccine roll-out
- 9 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal
- 10 Police investigation closed into deaths of two men in Hunts village