Regret but no surprise in bookshop's demise
I CANNOT agree with the letter saying the town is in need of a good bookshop. We have Walkers, which has a very good selection of books, not just best sellers. The staff are very friendly and they can order any books they do not have in stock. When WH Smi
I CANNOT agree with the letter saying the town is in need of a good bookshop. We have Walkers, which has a very good selection of books, not just best sellers. The staff are very friendly and they can order any books they do not have in stock.
When WH Smith, who sell only best sellers arrived, my wife and I said it would eventually be the end of Walkers, which has proved us right.
As for bookshops selling CDs, DVDs and computer games, I grew up when food shops sold food, you had greengrocers, butchers, fishmongers, record shops and bookshops selling what they were known for. That is why it was refreshing to see Walkers when they came to St Ives, as they are a proper bookshop. They will be missed. Do we really need another ladies' clothes shop?
Until the New Year you could buy your CDs, DVDs and computer games from Woolworths, so I presume your correspondent didn't go in there.
You may also want to watch:
I totally agree with John Davies and Doug Dew that we do not need an amusement arcade. St Ives is a market town not a seaside town, and I wonder what sort of people would it attract should it go ahead? Here we are losing good shops and, if Huntingdon is anything to go by, we shall end up with an amusement arcade. Has the world gone loopy?
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 3 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 4 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 7 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 8 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 9 For sale: Period property in Somersham has been lovingly restored with particular attention to detail
- 10 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named