Red Cross shop to close
AFTER 10 years of trading The Red Cross shop in Chequers Court in Huntingdon is to close due to falling sales. The Red Cross shop located at 35 Chequers Court will close its doors on Saturday April 22. Peter Harwood volunteer relief manager who has wor
AFTER 10 years of trading The Red Cross shop in Chequers Court in Huntingdon is to close due to falling sales.
The Red Cross shop located at 35 Chequers Court will close its doors on Saturday April 22.
Peter Harwood volunteer relief manager who has worked for the British Red Cross around the world for nearly 25 years told The Hunts Post: "The lease is up on the property and we have been told it's just not viable to get another one in Huntingdon or to stay where we are. "Wherever you go around the world there is a Red Cross shop. It is sad that Huntingdon isn't going to have one."
Nine volunteers work for the Huntingdon shop which is open six days a week.
"It's like the end of an era and the volunteers are very sad. On average about 200 people visit the shop every day. They may not all buy something but they do have a look around. The only way we could stay in Huntingdon is if we could secure a rent-free property in the High Street, which is never going to happen."
Marion Robinson, area manager for British Red Cross in East Anglia, added: "We have been investigating different possibilities for the operation of the Huntingdon shop as part of a nation-wide review of retail outlets. Unfortunately we have reached the conclusion that the Huntingdon shop is no longer viable and will have to close at the end of April. Sales have decreased steadily for the past two years and the outlet no longer makes sufficient profits."
- 1 Pub regulars celebrate life of former landlord who died during pandemic
- 2 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 5 Dry weather continues to impact district as pond drys up in Ramsey
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Number of bird flu cases have been confirmed in Huntingdonshire
- 8 Fun in the sun at Huntingdon Carnival 2022
- 9 Riverside Miniature Railway raises flag in record breaking year
- 10 St Ives ready for pre-season opener with Rushden & Higham
As a final farewell to its customers and volunteers the shop is holding a £1 a bag sale on Friday, April 21, and Saturday, April 22, where everything you can fit in a medium sized bag you can buy for £1.
INFORMATION: Visit www.redcross.org.uk