Recycling scheme is extended
HOUSEHOLDERS in places such as Cambourne and Papworth may soon be able to put out plastic bottles for recycling – as Huntingdonshire residents have for years. The move follows South Cambridgeshire District Council s being knocked off its perch as Cambridg
HOUSEHOLDERS in places such as Cambourne and Papworth may soon be able to put out plastic bottles for recycling - as Huntingdonshire residents have for years.
The move follows South Cambridgeshire District Council's being knocked off its perch as Cambridgeshire's top recycler of household waste by Huntingdonshire.
Both councils already recycle more than 50 per cent of household waste - 51.7 per cent in Hunts and 51 per cent in South Cambs.
Now the Cambourne-based authority is considering introducing kerbside collections of plastic bottles from next October, if the council's cabinet agrees on December 13.
Currently, they have to take their plastic bottles to some 16 locations around the district where they are collected for recycling. These, however, are often unable to cope with demand, resulting in overflowing banks and untidy sites, despite efforts to improve and increase capacity, SCDC said. A recent waste audit in South Cambridgeshire estimated that the current scheme recycles 190 tonnes of plastic bottles, but over 500 tonnes still go to landfill.
Cllr Daphne Spink said: "We are committed to increasing recycling opportunities for all our residents, as well as our recycling figures, and are aware that the kerbside collection of plastic bottles is something residents are very keen for us to offer.
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 3 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 4 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 5 House set alight in Brampton
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 9 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 10 Man who assaulted police officer claimed it was 'black magic'