Record bid soars
GREY skies and rain did not dampen down an intrepid pilot from landing at two Huntingdonshire airfields this week as part of a record-breaking fundraising challenge. In her Wings Around Britain Tour, pilot Polly Vacher is attempting to land at every ai
GREY skies and rain did not dampen down an intrepid pilot from landing at two Huntingdonshire airfields this week as part of a record-breaking fundraising challenge.
In her Wings Around Britain Tour, pilot Polly Vacher is attempting to land at every airfield in service in the UK - all 206 of them.
In aid of Flying Scholarships for the Disabled, the challenge was launched on May 21 at Birmingham airfield and will end in Oxford on July 31.
As part of Polly's record breaking bid she landed at Conington Airfield and Great Gransden on Monday in her Piper Dakota.
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Forrest, chief flying instructor and airfield manager at Conington, said: "Polly arrived in a light rain shower and stopped for a few minutes to meet everyone and sign her book and then she was off again. It was a real privilege and honour to have someone of Polly's standing in the field of aviation visit us. She is doing such good work raising awareness and funds for disabled people."
In 2001 Polly became the first female pilot to fly solo around the world via the Pacific in a light aircraft. In 2004 she broke further records by becoming the first woman to fly solo over the North Pole and land in all sic continents, covering 60,000 miles in 357 days.
- 1 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 2 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 3 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snix Snax' opens
- 5 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 6 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 7 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
INFORMATION: To donate towards the appeal or to find out more visit www.worldwings.org.uk