Ramblers join safety campaign
THE most recent group to join the campaign is the Huntingdon branch of the Ramblers Association. Warren Hay s mother, Maxine contacted the association to question whether the gap in the fence between the A141 and Sapley Road, Huntingdon, could be closed
THE most recent group to join the campaign is the Huntingdon branch of the Ramblers' Association.
Warren Hay's mother, Maxine contacted the association to question whether the gap in the fence between the A141 and Sapley Road, Huntingdon, could be closed to pedestrians.
"I showed a representative from the Ramblers' Association the gap in the fence that kids use as a cut-through to get to Jubilee Park and he was appalled," she said.
Bill Thompson, secretary for the Huntingdon Ramblers' Association, added: "The gap in the fence that leads on to the road is lethal. To think that children are using it is unbelievable. To ask people to use it would be like asking them to commit suicide.
You may also want to watch:
"We would support any campaign that asked for a footbridge across this fast road, as it is absolute madness expecting people to cross it."
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council said closure of the gap was just one of the options it is considering.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 7 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 8 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 9 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 10 Village Focus: Silver coins among ancient finds in Hartford
The Hunts Post has suggested a light controlled junction on the A141 and Kings Ripton Road. This would allow pedestrians to cross safely and motorists to turn right out of Kings Ripton Road. The speed limit on the A141 would also have to be reduced.