Pub Wall Demolished After Late-Night Smash
CUSTOMERS had a lucky escape after a car ploughed through the wall of a St Neots pub. A section of Great North Road in Eaton Socon was closed following the crash, which took place just before 10pm on Sunday (August 17). It is believed a Toyota pick-up tr
CUSTOMERS had a lucky escape after a car ploughed through the wall of a St Neots pub.
A section of Great North Road in Eaton Socon was closed following the crash, which took place just before 10pm on Sunday (August 17).
It is believed a Toyota pick-up truck collided with a side wall of the Waggon and Horses. A police spokesman said the pub had been left "severely damaged".
The landlord, Jeff Collins, told The Hunts Post he feared one of the oldest walls of the historical pub, which dates back to 1740, may collapse.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I remember hearing the squeaking of brakes and an almighty thud and thinking someone must have been killed. Then I ran downstairs and saw dust everywhere.
"When I got outside there was a car in the side of the pub. It is pretty unbelievable. I think I'm still in shock but I'm glad no one was injured."
- 1 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 2 Huntingdon business is first in UK to supply American craft beer
- 3 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 4 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 5 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 6 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 7 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 8 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 9 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 10 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
He said only a few people were in the pub at the time and that the debris from the crash had narrowly missed two men. The pub has been closed because of the damage to its structural - it is hoped it will reopen later this week.
A 33-year-old from County Down, Ireland, has been arrested and charged on suspicion of drink-driving.
He is due to appear at Huntingdon Magistrates' Court on August 28.
INFORMATION: Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0845 4564564 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.