Pub Wall Demolished After Late-Night Smash
CUSTOMERS had a lucky escape after a car ploughed through the wall of a St Neots pub. A section of Great North Road in Eaton Socon was closed following the crash, which took place just before 10pm on Sunday (August 17). It is believed a Toyota pick-up tr
CUSTOMERS had a lucky escape after a car ploughed through the wall of a St Neots pub.
A section of Great North Road in Eaton Socon was closed following the crash, which took place just before 10pm on Sunday (August 17).
It is believed a Toyota pick-up truck collided with a side wall of the Waggon and Horses. A police spokesman said the pub had been left "severely damaged".
The landlord, Jeff Collins, told The Hunts Post he feared one of the oldest walls of the historical pub, which dates back to 1740, may collapse.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I remember hearing the squeaking of brakes and an almighty thud and thinking someone must have been killed. Then I ran downstairs and saw dust everywhere.
"When I got outside there was a car in the side of the pub. It is pretty unbelievable. I think I'm still in shock but I'm glad no one was injured."
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 Patients avoided going to the doctor out of fear of 'catching Covid'
- 3 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 6 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
- 9 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 10 Olive Indian receives service award for a second year
He said only a few people were in the pub at the time and that the debris from the crash had narrowly missed two men. The pub has been closed because of the damage to its structural - it is hoped it will reopen later this week.
A 33-year-old from County Down, Ireland, has been arrested and charged on suspicion of drink-driving.
He is due to appear at Huntingdon Magistrates' Court on August 28.
INFORMATION: Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0845 4564564 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.