Pub regulars ward off armed robbers
TWO armed men were forced to flee empty handed from a pub in Great Gransden after friends of the landlords armed themselves with bar stools and ashtrays. The men – armed with wood and a claw hammer - entered the Crown and Cushion pub at 12.30am on Sunday
TWO armed men were forced to flee empty handed from a pub in Great Gransden after friends of the landlords armed themselves with bar stools and ashtrays.
The men - armed with wood and a claw hammer - entered the Crown and Cushion pub at 12.30am on Sunday, April 8, but were surprised to find friends and family of the new landlords inside.
The seven people inside armed themselves and the men left empty handed, escaping in a Ford Orion, driven by a third person.
The car had been stolen from Little Barford, near St Neots, at about 9.30pm the day before.
You may also want to watch:
The car was found abandoned at 10.30am on the Sunday close to Waresley Woods, just outside Great Gransden.
Detective Constable Darren May, who is investigating, said: "It was unclear what the intentions were of these men who entered the pub that night. Apparently due to the number of people inside, they left empty-handed.
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 Patients avoided going to the doctor out of fear of 'catching Covid'
- 3 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 6 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
- 9 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 10 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
"This could have been a much more serious incident and one man inside the pub did receive an injury after he was struck with a piece of wood.
"I need to speak to anyone who saw these men entering or leaving the pub, or who saw the vehicle being abandoned.
"Any information could prove valuable to the investigation.