Pub regulars ward off armed robbers
TWO armed men were forced to flee empty handed from a pub in Great Gransden after friends of the landlords armed themselves with bar stools and ashtrays. The men – armed with wood and a claw hammer - entered the Crown and Cushion pub at 12.30am on Sunday
TWO armed men were forced to flee empty handed from a pub in Great Gransden after friends of the landlords armed themselves with bar stools and ashtrays.
The men - armed with wood and a claw hammer - entered the Crown and Cushion pub at 12.30am on Sunday, April 8, but were surprised to find friends and family of the new landlords inside.
The seven people inside armed themselves and the men left empty handed, escaping in a Ford Orion, driven by a third person.
The car had been stolen from Little Barford, near St Neots, at about 9.30pm the day before.
The car was found abandoned at 10.30am on the Sunday close to Waresley Woods, just outside Great Gransden.
Detective Constable Darren May, who is investigating, said: "It was unclear what the intentions were of these men who entered the pub that night. Apparently due to the number of people inside, they left empty-handed.
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 5 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 6 House set alight in Brampton
- 7 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 8 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 9 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 10 Man who assaulted police officer claimed it was 'black magic'
"This could have been a much more serious incident and one man inside the pub did receive an injury after he was struck with a piece of wood.
"I need to speak to anyone who saw these men entering or leaving the pub, or who saw the vehicle being abandoned.
"Any information could prove valuable to the investigation.