Pride and prejudice
WHO is Denis Gryzlov to tell me that I cannot fly the flag of England when I feel like it (Letters, May 9)? He is, he says, a recent immigrant . Mr Gryzlov asserts that celebrating April 23 as a national day of England cannot be tolerated any more and s
WHO is Denis Gryzlov to tell me that I cannot fly the flag of England when I feel like it (Letters, May 9)? He is, he says, "a recent immigrant".
Mr Gryzlov asserts that celebrating April 23 as a national day of England "cannot be tolerated any more and should be eliminated". Strong words. Thank goodness we English are tolerant and do not condone elimination.
Most countries have a national day. Why shouldn't we? I wonder how many "recent immigrants" would get on trying to get the Irish to eliminate St Patrick's Day.
Mr Gryzlov goes on to say that we should build a new ideology as a major step towards British citizens' respect and support for immigrants.
Our country already spends enormous resources and time translating our benefits system into all the multi-ethnic languages. We pay translators a day's expenses for 20 minutes' work in an NHS hospital consulting room or in a police station.
Mr Gryzlov insists that immigrants deserve better rights than they have now. We have already bent over backwards, but tell us what further rights you require and we will bend over even more to accommodate you.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Ramsey St Mary's