Present and future
I USED my free bus pass to take me to the centre of Cambridge to do some Christmas shopping. Christmas is about children. So I thought I would look for some presents for my grandchildren. I knew what they were hoping for. Toys! So that is what I hoped to
I USED my free bus pass to take me to the centre of Cambridge to do some Christmas shopping. Christmas is about children. So I thought I would look for some presents for my grandchildren.
I knew what they were hoping for. Toys! So that is what I hoped to buy.
What I had not bargained for was all the toy shops in the middle of Cambridge had closed and now none were left.
I could imagine some modern day Scrooge saying "Christmas! Humbug! Only comes once a year. Not worth investing in. Close them all down, Let us have luxury leather shops instead." Christmas Present is a miserable affair.
But what about Christmas Future? In my dream I saw myself trying to visit Toys 'R Us in Bedford, travelling by bus and encountering all manners of problems. Listening to the talk on the bus, I became aware of the problems with local hospitals.
In my dream I saw Tiny Tim die in a vain attempt to reach hospital in time to save his life. Perhaps any moment now I would wake up and find that it was still possible to bring tears of happiness to Tiny Tim's face. If only!
- 1 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 7 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 8 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 9 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 10 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years