Present and future
I USED my free bus pass to take me to the centre of Cambridge to do some Christmas shopping. Christmas is about children. So I thought I would look for some presents for my grandchildren. I knew what they were hoping for. Toys! So that is what I hoped to
I USED my free bus pass to take me to the centre of Cambridge to do some Christmas shopping. Christmas is about children. So I thought I would look for some presents for my grandchildren.
I knew what they were hoping for. Toys! So that is what I hoped to buy.
What I had not bargained for was all the toy shops in the middle of Cambridge had closed and now none were left.
I could imagine some modern day Scrooge saying "Christmas! Humbug! Only comes once a year. Not worth investing in. Close them all down, Let us have luxury leather shops instead." Christmas Present is a miserable affair.
You may also want to watch:
But what about Christmas Future? In my dream I saw myself trying to visit Toys 'R Us in Bedford, travelling by bus and encountering all manners of problems. Listening to the talk on the bus, I became aware of the problems with local hospitals.
In my dream I saw Tiny Tim die in a vain attempt to reach hospital in time to save his life. Perhaps any moment now I would wake up and find that it was still possible to bring tears of happiness to Tiny Tim's face. If only!
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 8 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 9 Benefits cut will leave Hunts families 'in debt', warns charity
- 10 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’