Praise for pan fire heroine
A QUICK-thinking St Ives resident who called 999 after hearing a neighbour s smoke alarm has been praised by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service. Her actions prevented the kitchen of a property in Burleigh Terrace from being badly damaged by fire afte
A QUICK-thinking St Ives resident who called 999 after hearing a neighbour's smoke alarm has been praised by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.
Her actions prevented the kitchen of a property in Burleigh Terrace from being badly damaged by fire after a pan of curry was left cooking on a gas hob Monday evening.
When firefighters arrived at the house at 10.40pm, they had to force open the door because the property was empty and took the pan off the hob.
Carl Pardon, watch manager at Huntingdon fire station, said it could have been a lot worse: "The presence of a working smoke alarm coupled with the quick actions of the neighbour have potentially saved this house from serious damage."
INFORMATION: To book a free home fire safety check, visit your nearest fire station.
- 1 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 6 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
- 7 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 10 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic