A QUICK-thinking St Ives resident who called 999 after hearing a neighbour's smoke alarm has been praised by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service. Her actions prevented the kitchen of a property in Burleigh Terrace from being badly damaged by fire after a pan of curry was left cooking on a gas hob Monday evening. When firefighters arrived at the house at 10.40pm, they had to force open the door because the property was empty and took the pan off the hob. Carl Pardon, watch manager at Huntingdon fire station, said it could have been a lot worse: "The presence of a working smoke alarm coupled with the quick actions of the neighbour have potentially saved this house from serious damage." INFORMATION: To book a free home fire safety check, visit your nearest fire station.