Postbag: Slow down
I WISH to add my disgust (Letters, January 11) to the way we all drive on our roads, with no respect for anyone. Something must be done to slow drivers down, especially on the A1198 between Godmanchester and Papworth, which will compel us all to be consid
I WISH to add my disgust (Letters, January 11) to the way we all drive on our roads, with no respect for anyone.
Something must be done to slow drivers down, especially on the A1198 between Godmanchester and Papworth, which will compel us all to be considerate, courteous and obey the Highway Code.
When I was driving along the A1198 to Papworth recently with my speed at 50mph, a lorry pulled up behind me and flashed his lights several times. I slowed down, only to find he wanted to overtake me, which he did on the brow of a hill with all his many lights on in full.
This foolish act could have resulted in many families losing more loved ones.
I believe the speed limit from Papworth to Godmanchester should be 50mph. Where the Hilton and Graveley roads join the A1198 the speed limit should be 30mph with safety cameras in place. They would pay for themselves in a few months.
The London Road junction with the A1198 is a death trap. Many have been killed and severely injuried there, young and old, and I hope the person who was responsible for the present state of it has already been given their P45.
- 1 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 2 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 3 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 6 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 7 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 8 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 9 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 10 St Ives-based business nominated for MP champions award
That death trap should have had traffic lights many years ago and, if someone wants a roundabout there, I hope it is made with some thought as drivers will go straight over it and there will be even more carnage. How many more must die?
VIV LANGE, Croftfield Road, Godmanchester