Postbag: Safety solution
THREE more fatalities in an accident along Forty Foot Bank make one wonder how many more there have to be before the powers that be get off their backsides and erect some sort of barrier along this and other riverside roads in the county. The excuse for n
THREE more fatalities in an accident along Forty Foot Bank make one wonder how many more there have to be before the powers that be get off their backsides and erect some sort of barrier along this and other riverside roads in the county.
The excuse for not having done so already is always the same, namely so-called lack of funding. Can someone then please explain where all the money goes that we pay in taxes, road fund tax, Council Tax, fuel tax etc - certainly not on improving dangerous stretches of our roads?
When the A1 was upgraded a few years ago, several miles of barriers were removed and replaced. What happened to the old barriers? Having worked on the upgrade I asked at the time what would happen to these barriers and was told that any undamaged ones would be re-galvanised and sold to France for their mountain roads.
If this was the case, then why on earth cannot any undamaged barriers removed from upgraded motorways etc be recycled and used in this country on roads such as Forty Foot Bank, the road alongside the old Nene at Ramsey St Mary's and others? Surely if they are good enough for French mountainsides they are more than adequate for our riverside roads.
While excessive speed does play a part in some of these accidents, there is no doubt that, if crash barriers had been erected along these riverside roads, there would have been fewer fatalities over the years.
RT LYON, Ramsey Mereside
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 5 Could you give these pets a home?
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 8 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 9 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 10 Thousands of trees planted in green initiative