Postbag: Making allowances
I HAVE just had to turn down a day s work once again, to the disappointment of myself, the agency and their client. As usual, the problem is that the rules of Jobseeker s Allowance do not allow your money to be enhanced to take account of travel or any ot
I HAVE just had to turn down a day's work once again, to the disappointment of myself, the agency and their client.
As usual, the problem is that the rules of Jobseeker's Allowance do not allow your money to be enhanced to take account of travel or any other inducement.
By the time the Housing/Council Tax Benefit adjustments are made, brief periods of work only cause me to be worse off.
Income tax credits cannot help, as the council factors in all income except Disability Living Allowance, which I do not receive.
You may also want to watch:
As one who is subject to long-term illness, I have been disqualified from Incapacity Benefit, as I can and I like to work a bit.
No one will employ me full-time, but part-time has been rendered impractical.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 3 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 4 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 5 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 6 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
I've spoken quite a lot with the JobCentre, who have been largely pleasant and helpful, but they don't make the rules.
Until the JSA rules allow flexibility which does not penalise part-time work by single householders but may even encourage it, we cannot get the flexibility industry needs.
The cost would be modest given the payback in having people who can and would, like myself, be available, punctual, with own transport and able to respond to needs of the JobCentre, agencies, employers, the economy and, yes, ourselves.
D TOM CRUYFFT, Jubilee Avenue, Warboys