I AM greatly heartened to see two singularly important, but often overlooked, points raised by Ted Bocking and Kirsty Fletcher (Letters, August 9). Firstly, Mr Bocking raises the unpleasant suggestion a much bigger and perhaps more sinister objective lie
I AM greatly heartened to see two singularly important, but often overlooked, points raised by Ted Bocking and Kirsty Fletcher (Letters, August 9).
Firstly, Mr Bocking raises the unpleasant suggestion a much bigger and perhaps more sinister objective lies behind this unpopular proposal to turn part of Riverside Park into a car park.. I am inclined to agree with him, as 20 years residence in this town have shown me that such a pattern inevitably follows each development in this area.
Secondly, Ms Fletcher's point about the apparent lack of representation of the electorate by some councillors is also worrying.
I am aware some people might support the destruction of our precious green space in the name of progress, but anecdotal evidence seems to put them in the minority.
You may also want to watch:
My job as a teacher of citizenship at a Fenland school requires me to explain the principle that elected representatives are in office purely to express the views of the electorate.
A nagging doubt at the back of my mind tells me that the people of Huntingdon are not really getting this service from all of their elected representatives. I hope I will be proved wrong on this issue and the whole suggestion is dropped quickly.
- 1 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 5 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 6 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 7 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 10 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
D D WHITEHEAD, Dovehouse Close, Godmanchester