Police fight crime in several ways
IN response to the letter from Mr Cumbers (June 28), I would like to make the following comments with regards to reporting crime and local police. I can reassure him police officers and staff are working hard in St Ives and across the division, sometimes
IN response to the letter from Mr Cumbers (June 28), I would like to make the following comments with regards to reporting crime and local police.
I can reassure him police officers and staff are working hard in St Ives and across the division, sometimes in highly visible roles such as patrolling, and often in less visible but highly effective operational activity.
We commit much of our time to frontline patrol staff, the people who are most visible on your streets. In particular, we have teams active tackling persistent problems such as anti-social behaviour and drug dealers and users. And there are many other operations which are less visible but which help keep neighbourhoods safer.
Is our approach working? Crime is down in this division by six per cent - that's 1,219 fewer victims of crime than last year. We're not complacent but we are moving in the right direction.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cumbers also asks what we are doing about mobile phone misuse and parking on yellow lines. So far this year traffic officers have issued 1,549 fixed penalty notices to people using a mobile phone while driving. And in relation to parking 875 tickets have been issued this year.
Chief Superintendent DAVID HANKINS
- 1 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 2 One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 3 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 4 Concerns raised about increase in lorries if plan goes ahead
- 5 Hunts Post Reader Photos for this week
- 6 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 7 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 8 Do you remember the old cinemas in Huntingdonshire?
- 9 Tim retires after 25 years with law firm
- 10 New griddle restaurant opens in St Neots
Central Division divisional commander