Podiatrist was twice the limit
A HINCHINGBROOKE Hospital podiatrist will have to cover his 325-square-mile patch on a bicycle or by public transport after pleading guilty to drink-driving. Darren Robert Martin, 26, of Alexandra House, Hinchingbrooke, was found to have had 86 microgramm
A HINCHINGBROOKE Hospital podiatrist will have to cover his 325-square-mile patch on a bicycle or by public transport after pleading guilty to drink-driving.
Darren Robert Martin, 26, of Alexandra House, Hinchingbrooke, was found to have had 86 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath - more than twice the legal limit of 35 - when his car was stopped by police on Huntingdon ring road, the town's magistrates heard.
He was banned from driving for 20 months, fined £250 with a £15 victim surcharge and ordered to pay £50 prosecution costs. The ban will be reduced by a quarter if he successfully completes a drink-drive rehabilitation course.
His solicitor, Nend Spasojevic, said his client had been to St Ives for a meal with which he had not intended to drink, but he decided to have some alcohol.
You may also want to watch:
He had driven home only because of a previous assault in the town, when his car had been stolen.
The ban would cause significant difficulty for Martin, who had to cover health centres, doctors' surgeries and residential and nursing homes across 325 square miles, Mr Spasojevic told the court.
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 3 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 4 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 5 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 8 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 9 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 10 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor