Players we can be proud of
I COLLECTED my brother and his son from Stansted, from where my nephew and 12 other boys under 13 had travelled to Strasbourg to represent TG Elite in a football tournament. (TG Elite is a local training scheme for keen young footballers). These lads, ac
I COLLECTED my brother and his son from Stansted, from where my nephew and 12 other boys under 13 had travelled to Strasbourg to represent TG Elite in a football tournament. (TG Elite is a local training scheme for keen young footballers).
These lads, accompanied by their two coaches, Gary and John, and an assistant, had left Stansted early Friday morning. For some it was the first time they had been away from home, for others the first time they had been abroad.
To witness their return to the airport was a pleasure. They were all wearing black and blue tracksuits and looked incredibly smart, well-behaved and happy. Before leaving the airport, they shook hands with their coaches and with each other and behaved not like children but young men.
Just to add a little pressure to the other English footballers who have had so much publicity recently, these local young men were awarded the top trophy - the trophy for fair play. The tournament included 60 teams from all over Europe, so to be awarded the trophy was indeed an honour.
You may also want to watch:
The parents should be proud of them, as should to two coaches who had obviously put so much work into the trip and into the training of the boys.
VERONICA CARTER, Ramsey
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 5 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 6 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 7 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 8 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 9 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 10 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?