Plans unveiled for new school
PROPOSALS for a £2.8million primary school in St Neots have been unveiled by Cambridgeshire County Council to cope with 1,200 new homes planned for the area. The council has submitted a planning application to Huntingdonshire District Council for the new
PROPOSALS for a £2.8million primary school in St Neots have been unveiled by Cambridgeshire County Council to cope with 1,200 new homes planned for the area.
The council has submitted a planning application to Huntingdonshire District Council for the new school on a site east of St Neots railway station and north of Cambridge Road.
The scheme would create a new single storey primary school with extended school facilities, including pre-school and out of school club activity spaces.
County council cabinet member for children and young people's services, Cllr Shona Johnstone, said: "St Neots is rapidly expanding and we are committed to providing the best quality education facilities to help meet the needs of the growing community. The proposed new school will be a major boost for the educational provision in St Neots."
You may also want to watch:
Modern materials with low energy needs including a ground source heat pump to control the internal temperature of the school and solar heating to pre-heat the domestic hot water will be used in the new school.
The school will be built following consultation with the community and governors and head teachers of existing schools in St Neots. The meeting with schools has been set for July 18.
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 3 Village job club providing vital service
- 4 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 5 Alconbury to benefit from £200,000 flood protection funding
- 6 New project will enhance river at Godmanchester
- 7 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 8 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 9 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
Subject to the statutory process and consultation, work should begin on the new 200-plus pupil school in February 2007. It has been proposed to help cope with the extra pupil numbers generated by the 1,200 new homes planned for St Neots.