Plans to twin St Neots with Madrid
ST Neots could soon be saying hola to Madrid as plans move forward to twin Cambridgeshire s largest town with the Spanish capital. The idea is being looked at by St Neots Town Twinning Association after it was approached by one of the city s suburbs. Ma
ST Neots could soon be saying 'hola' to Madrid as plans move forward to twin Cambridgeshire's largest town with the Spanish capital.
The idea is being looked at by St Neots Town Twinning Association after it was approached by one of the city's suburbs.
Madrid may experience summer temperatures surpassing 30C and famous for being home to the Galacticos (Real Madrid football club), designer shops and world-class musuems, but it seems St Neots can offer a different view of life.
The twinning association is keen on the Madrid link, but the final decision would lie with St Neots Town Council.
You may also want to watch:
Ian Taylor, chairman of the twinning association, told The Hunts Post: "We in the twinning association would welcome a new twinned town, but we cannot make that decision.
"It is the town council as the elected representatives of St Neots who can make that decision.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 4 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 5 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 6 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 7 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 8 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 9 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
"It was a suburb of Madrid that contacted me to ask if we would be interested in twining with them. I have then passed this on to the town council. I look forward to their decision."
Mr Taylor is due to give a presentation on the Madrid idea to the town council at its meeting in July at the Priory Centre, St Neots.
He will also discuss plans for the 20th anniversary celebrations of the town's twinning charter.
St Neots has been twinned with Faches Thumesnil, on the outskirts of Lille in Northern France, since 1990.
The aim of twinning is to promote friendship and understanding between people in the twinned towns - not just adults, but also schools and other interested groups. Events include exchange visits - something that could prove very popular if Madrid becomes a twin town.
INFORMATION: Does twinning St Neots with Madrid sound like a good idea? E-mail your views to: email@example.com or write to: St Neots twinning with Madrid debate, The Hunts Post, 30 High Street, Huntingdon, Cambs, PE29 3TB.