Planning row angers residents
THE peace and quiet of a Huntingdonshire village is being shattered by a planning row that is said to be costing residents hundreds of pounds in legal fees. The scheme, which has stirred up anger among the residents of a row of cottages in Kimbolton, wo
THE peace and quiet of a Huntingdonshire village is being "shattered" by a planning row that is said to be costing residents hundreds of pounds in legal fees.
The scheme, which has stirred up anger among the residents of a row of cottages in Kimbolton, would see four two-bedroom houses built in the back gardens of three of the Dukes Row cottages.
Mel Lazenby, who has lived in Dukes Row since 1995, told The Hunts Post the plans are causing "a lot of stress" to residents.
She said: "We live in the original set of 19th century cottages which were once owned by the Duke of Manchester and used to house workers at Kimbolton Castle. They are full of character and this development will ruin their character forever."
You may also want to watch:
Miss Lazenby, who works as an atom technician at Cambridge University, added that she and her neighbours are so determined to fight the application they have been consulting a solicitor.
"From my records we've spent £500.76, split between myself and two other residents, on solicitors fees for seeking advice."
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Day of action at Camp Beagle as protesters demand release of puppies
- 3 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 4 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 5 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 8 Plea for caution as Covid-19 rates rise
- 9 Is this striking 20ft palm tree the biggest in Huntingdonshire?
- 10 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
The plans could be another blow to the residents who lost their battle earlier this month to stop houses being built on the former allotments at the back of Dukes Row.
Helen Brown, another resident of Dukes Row, said both developments "threatened to shatter the peace and quiet of the cottages".
"The developers do not seem to care about the stress and upset they are causing to the residents of this small corner of Kimbolton."
The planning application has been submitted to Huntingdonshire District Council by Olney Properties. Campbell Rees Associates of Godmanchester issued a statement on behalf of Olney Properties saying the area had been designed to allow further development.
"The cottages were positioned on the site so as to allow a further row of cottages to be built should they be required. In the event they were not required. Rather than leave the fallow it was divided up to form the present very long gardens."
The statement added that the development would "provide a more useful and more attractive layout than at present" and the new dwellings would be attractive and traditional to compliment the area.
Cllr Jonathan Gray, district councillor for Kimbolton and Stonely, said he was concerned about the impact the proposals could.
"Three of the properties would be particularly badly affected and to all intents and purposes would lose almost all their gardens. I have already represented the concerns of residents to the parish and district councils, and will continue to do so at all stages of the process."
The deadline for people to have their say on the application is Friday (February 15) and the issue will be discussed at Kimbolton Parish Council meeting place tomorrow (Thursday) at Kimbolton Fire Station at 7pm.
A final decision is expected to be made by Huntingdonshire District Council at the end of March.
INFORMATION: Anyone wanting to find out more should visit www.huntsdc.gov.uk and click on the planning section and search for application number 0704160FUL.