Pioneer of self-build industry marks milestone anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A pioneer of self-build homes is celebrating 25 years since the opening of its show centre in Little Paxton with a look back at the changing industry.
Potton opened its centre, in Mill Lane, in 1992, when building your own home was a relatively new concept.
Originally, the company only showcased three types of houses and its centre was opened to introduce the notion of self-build to the public.
Now Potton has become one of the leading names in the industry and is no longer just a manufacturer of timber frame kit homes.
Mark Stevenson, managing director, said: “The self-build show centre has been the jewel in the self-build crown for the past 25 years and we are exceptionally proud that Potton’s founder, Peter Hutchinson, had the vision and belief to create it.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the years, the centre has seen many changes and additions and has shaped trends and innovations within the self-build sector.
“We are constantly rejuvenating the show centre, making it relevant and inspirational for today’s self-builder and have implemented an ongoing programme of refurbishment and renewal.”
- 1 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 4 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 5 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 6 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 9 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 10 New plans on the horizon for Black Cat Radio
The business has expanded to include five self-build show homes on the site which showcase what can be achieved. It has even invested in the latest approach to energy efficient homes, with Passivhaus energy performance standards in its latest addition to the centre.
As part of its development, the centre has become the company’s self-build academy, where 14 courses are run, along with events, to help self-builders through every aspect of building their own home.
Mr Stevenson added: “The continued success and ongoing popularity of the self-build show centre demonstrates that Potton is still at the forefront of self-building in the UK and we are dedicated to forging ahead with Peter’s pioneering ambitions to inspire a whole new generation of self-builders. We’re ready for, and looking forward to, the next 25 years.”
Last year the company welcomed more than 6,000 visitors to the site.
Potton was originally started as a family-run business in 1964 and was acquired by the Kingspan Group in 2006.