Park-and-ride is the only hope for Hinchingbrooke
MIKE Boyles is in a lather about my proposals to deal with Huntingdon s traffic problems (Letters, March 18). Briefly these are to divert all-day commuters into edge-of-town park-and-rides and reduced short-stay parking fees in town for shoppers to shore
MIKE Boyles is in a lather about my proposals to deal with Huntingdon's traffic problems (Letters, March 18). Briefly these are to divert all-day commuters into edge-of-town park-and-rides and reduced short-stay parking fees in town for shoppers to shore up the High Street.
Mike accuses me of abandoning Brampton's interests. Far from it. A recent survey by villagers counted huge peak-hour traffic flows and jams as we approach the town. Looking forward, we could suffer from extra flows if the viaduct comes down, more development on Hinchingbrooke Park, the regional college move (stalled for the moment but planning permission lasts five years) and the impact of extra retail and housing in the West Hunts Area Action Plan.
Many of us in Brampton fear we will be unable to get through. Park-and-ride is the only realistic hope. Mike may not need to get to the hospital or the station or the town in a hurry. Others do. So, far from abandoning Brampton, I am suggesting an effective way forward to deal with a looming problem.
Councillor MIKE SHELLENS
You may also want to watch:
Huntingdonshire District Council
- 1 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 2 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 3 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 4 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 5 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
- 6 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 7 100-year-old care home resident reveals secret to a long life.
- 8 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 9 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years