Parents say no to webcam
PARENTS at a Huntingdonshire nursery have been offered the chance to see their children during the day via a webcam – but have turned the offer down. Jane Roberts, owner of Buckden Nursery School, said all the parents had been asked if they would like the
PARENTS at a Huntingdonshire nursery have been offered the chance to see their children during the day via a webcam - but have turned the offer down.
Jane Roberts, owner of Buckden Nursery School, said all the parents had been asked if they would like the webcam. When the survey came back, 40 per cent said yes and 60 per cent said no.
Mrs Roberts, whose own two children are at the nursery, said she wanted to offer parents the latest technology, which had been trialled in London and written about in the magazine, Nursery World.
She said: "I could understand the reasons the parents gave. Some of them said it would detract from the home from the home atmosphere at the nursery and have the feeling of Big Brother.
"There were also worries about protecting the children from strangers looking in if, for example, the computer was left on at work. Other people said that they might see the child crying but not see what had happened before or after so they were seeing the event out of context, so that instead of giving them peace of mind, it would go the other way."
Mrs Roberts added that there were also parents who were very keen.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
"I wanted to add value to the nursery and the service we provide to children and parents and I thought since the technology was there I would give our parents the chance to have it. I will ask everyone again in a year's time when the technology may have advanced further so they are happy with it."
INFORMATION: Buckden Nursery has around 55 children and places for youngsters aged three months to five years.