Parents say no to webcam
PARENTS at a Huntingdonshire nursery have been offered the chance to see their children during the day via a webcam – but have turned the offer down. Jane Roberts, owner of Buckden Nursery School, said all the parents had been asked if they would like the
PARENTS at a Huntingdonshire nursery have been offered the chance to see their children during the day via a webcam - but have turned the offer down.
Jane Roberts, owner of Buckden Nursery School, said all the parents had been asked if they would like the webcam. When the survey came back, 40 per cent said yes and 60 per cent said no.
Mrs Roberts, whose own two children are at the nursery, said she wanted to offer parents the latest technology, which had been trialled in London and written about in the magazine, Nursery World.
She said: "I could understand the reasons the parents gave. Some of them said it would detract from the home from the home atmosphere at the nursery and have the feeling of Big Brother.
"There were also worries about protecting the children from strangers looking in if, for example, the computer was left on at work. Other people said that they might see the child crying but not see what had happened before or after so they were seeing the event out of context, so that instead of giving them peace of mind, it would go the other way."
Mrs Roberts added that there were also parents who were very keen.
- 1 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 4 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 5 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 6 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
- 7 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
"I wanted to add value to the nursery and the service we provide to children and parents and I thought since the technology was there I would give our parents the chance to have it. I will ask everyone again in a year's time when the technology may have advanced further so they are happy with it."
INFORMATION: Buckden Nursery has around 55 children and places for youngsters aged three months to five years.