Parents’ £10,000 bill
EYNESBURY parents who set up a pre-school are facing a bill for £10,000 after a Lottery grant was withdrawn. Chatterbox Pre-School, based in Andrew Road, Eynesbury, closed in 2005 when it originally run out of money for a refurbishment, but was scheduled
EYNESBURY parents who set up a pre-school are facing a bill for £10,000 after a Lottery grant was withdrawn.
Chatterbox Pre-School, based in Andrew Road, Eynesbury, closed in 2005 when it originally run out of money for a refurbishment, but was scheduled to re-open in September.
Plans had been made for a £130,000 refurbishment of its premise, which this time was to be paid for with a Lottery grant.
However, the money was withdrawn after the pre-school failed to meet a deadline.
Claire Savage, who has been chairman of the pre-school for three years, told The Hunts Post that this was the end of the line and the pre-school would never be able to re-open.
She said: "We did not know what we were doing. We are just parents who set up the group as volunteers to help the community and when we needed help no one was there. It turned into a bit of a shambles."
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
The pre-school, which was established 14 years ago, had a waiting list of 50 children expecting to join the school in September.
Instead, the school will remain closed and staff must find £10,000 to remove the old school building and clear the site as part of its original lease agreement.
To help raise the funds, all the assets of the pre-school are being auctioned off on Saturday, May 12, at the Andrew Road site.
INFORMATION: To make a donation to help clear the debt, phone Claire Savage on 01480 386579.