Overnight closure of A428 announced as re-surfacing work gets under way
- Credit: Archant
A stretch of the A428 between Caxton Gibbet and St Neots will be closed overnight for more than four months to allow for re-surfacing works to take place.
Highways England says a programme of resurfacing work will see 8.7 miles of the A428 from Caxton Gibbet roundabout to St Neots roundabout closed overnight from Monday, July 25, for a period of up to 17 weeks.
The work will be carried out during the week between 8pm and 6am both eastbound and westbound and also includes replacing joints at St Neots Viaduct.
Highways England project manager Christopher Eglinton said: “This vital resurfacing work will provide road users with a better driving experience. The white lines will also be more visible, improving driver safety.
“We have planned this work carefully to minimise the inconvenience to road users, by carrying out work overnight when traffic flows are lowest.
You may also want to watch:
“We have also worked with the team working on the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme to ensure this section of the A428 is a good condition before main construction work on the major scheme starts later this year.
“I would urge motorists to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journeys.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 2 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 3 One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 4 Concerns raised about increase in lorries if plan goes ahead
- 5 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 6 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 7 Tim retires after 25 years with law firm
- 8 Do you remember the old cinemas in Huntingdonshire?
- 9 Man from Alconbury sentenced for sexual assault
- 10 New griddle restaurant opens in St Neots
The work will be carried out overnight and involve full closures. It will be completed in four sections, one at a time.
The full closures will be as follows:
Between Eltisley (junction with the B1040) and Caxton Gibbet roundabout for 24 nights, then
Between the St Neots roundabout (junction with the B1428) and the Tesco roundabout (junction with Barford Road) for 15 nights, then
Between Tithe Farm roundabout (junction with the B1428) and Eltisley for 27 nights, then
Between the Tesco roundabout and Tithe Farm roundabout for 22 nights.
During the closures a signposted diversion route will be in place. Drivers travelling westbound will be diverted on the A1198 at Caxton Gibbet roundabout to Godmanchester, follow A14 westbound to junction 21 at Brampton where traffic will be diverted on the A1 southbound to Wyboston and vice versa for eastbound.