Overnight closure of A428 announced as re-surfacing work gets under way
- Credit: Archant
A stretch of the A428 between Caxton Gibbet and St Neots will be closed overnight for more than four months to allow for re-surfacing works to take place.
Highways England says a programme of resurfacing work will see 8.7 miles of the A428 from Caxton Gibbet roundabout to St Neots roundabout closed overnight from Monday, July 25, for a period of up to 17 weeks.
The work will be carried out during the week between 8pm and 6am both eastbound and westbound and also includes replacing joints at St Neots Viaduct.
Highways England project manager Christopher Eglinton said: “This vital resurfacing work will provide road users with a better driving experience. The white lines will also be more visible, improving driver safety.
“We have planned this work carefully to minimise the inconvenience to road users, by carrying out work overnight when traffic flows are lowest.
“We have also worked with the team working on the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme to ensure this section of the A428 is a good condition before main construction work on the major scheme starts later this year.
“I would urge motorists to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journeys.”
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 5 Beagle puppies freed at MBR Acres after second day of action
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Two lorries crashed on A14 near Spaldwick
- 8 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 9 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 10 Police alert fire service to motor home engulfed in flames
The work will be carried out overnight and involve full closures. It will be completed in four sections, one at a time.
The full closures will be as follows:
Between Eltisley (junction with the B1040) and Caxton Gibbet roundabout for 24 nights, then
Between the St Neots roundabout (junction with the B1428) and the Tesco roundabout (junction with Barford Road) for 15 nights, then
Between Tithe Farm roundabout (junction with the B1428) and Eltisley for 27 nights, then
Between the Tesco roundabout and Tithe Farm roundabout for 22 nights.
During the closures a signposted diversion route will be in place. Drivers travelling westbound will be diverted on the A1198 at Caxton Gibbet roundabout to Godmanchester, follow A14 westbound to junction 21 at Brampton where traffic will be diverted on the A1 southbound to Wyboston and vice versa for eastbound.