Outdoor café table application to give a continental feel’
CAFE society could be coming to St Ives, with al fresco dining in Bridge Street near the historic old bridge. Jane Gwynne, who runs the Taproom café-bar a few paces from the river crossing, will ask Huntingdonshire District Council tomorrow (Thursday) for
CAFE society could be coming to St Ives, with al fresco dining in Bridge Street near the historic old bridge.
Jane Gwynne, who runs the Taproom café-bar a few paces from the river crossing, will ask Huntingdonshire District Council tomorrow (Thursday) for a permit for five tables in Bridge Street.
"I think it would raise the game of the whole place and give a bit of a continental feel to it, she told The Hunts Post. "It's very much in keeping with the style of the Taproom, which is contemporary with a Mediterranean flavour to the food. Our customers cover a broad range of age groups.
"We have wanted to do this ever since we opened a year ago"
You may also want to watch:
The police have not opposed the application, which Mrs Gwynne says is backed by St Ives Town Council and Cambridgeshire County Council, which is the highway authority.
Two members of the public have objected, but one was not opposed to the principle of pavement cafés.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 7 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 8 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 9 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 10 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
"There are concerns about wheelchairs and pushchairs getting past, but I'm sure we can work round that. We have 20 or 25 in every day at the moment, and that's no problem. In any case, there's more room outside the Taproom than there is between stalls in the market"
INFORMATION: The Taproom is on 01480 492255. It is open from 8am until 11pm Monday to Wednesday and until 1.30am Thursday to Saturday. Sunday hours are 10am to 11.30pm.