Outdoor café table application to give a continental feel’
CAFE society could be coming to St Ives, with al fresco dining in Bridge Street near the historic old bridge. Jane Gwynne, who runs the Taproom café-bar a few paces from the river crossing, will ask Huntingdonshire District Council tomorrow (Thursday) for
CAFE society could be coming to St Ives, with al fresco dining in Bridge Street near the historic old bridge.
Jane Gwynne, who runs the Taproom café-bar a few paces from the river crossing, will ask Huntingdonshire District Council tomorrow (Thursday) for a permit for five tables in Bridge Street.
"I think it would raise the game of the whole place and give a bit of a continental feel to it, she told The Hunts Post. "It's very much in keeping with the style of the Taproom, which is contemporary with a Mediterranean flavour to the food. Our customers cover a broad range of age groups.
"We have wanted to do this ever since we opened a year ago"
You may also want to watch:
The police have not opposed the application, which Mrs Gwynne says is backed by St Ives Town Council and Cambridgeshire County Council, which is the highway authority.
Two members of the public have objected, but one was not opposed to the principle of pavement cafés.
- 1 Brampton Post Office customers say fond farewell to postmaster
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 4 Organic Hunts beauty company Bossy Glossy gets celebrity support
- 5 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 6 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 7 Free Covid testing kits now available at some pharmacies
- 8 Kimbolton business announces new CEO
- 9 Primary school earns Fairtrade status
- 10 Memories of St Neots' town centre
"There are concerns about wheelchairs and pushchairs getting past, but I'm sure we can work round that. We have 20 or 25 in every day at the moment, and that's no problem. In any case, there's more room outside the Taproom than there is between stalls in the market"
INFORMATION: The Taproom is on 01480 492255. It is open from 8am until 11pm Monday to Wednesday and until 1.30am Thursday to Saturday. Sunday hours are 10am to 11.30pm.