‘Only a few still believe in climate crisis’
SARAH Gladwell’s letter (Emission Action, July 31) is well-meaning but misinformed.
She must be the only person in Cambridgeshire who still believes we face a ‘climate crisis’ because of carbon dioxide.
Let me remind readers of the facts (not the fantasies from computer modelling).
1. The total human contribution to atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) is just 4 per cent, the remaining 96 per cent enters the atmosphere mostly from the oceans and sparsely populated tropical rainforest areas (as measured by SCIAMACHY).
2. As the earth warms then CO2 levels rise - not the other way round.
You may also want to watch:
3. Current levels of CO2 (around 390 parts per million) are low compared even to the relatively recent past (a few hundred thousand years ago). Plants are now ‘gasping for breath’. Cutting CO2 (even if we could) would starve people by causing reduced harvests, killing those who already live on the edge.
The World ?’Development‘ Movement seems a misnomer. Trying to cut the use of fossil fuels is to condemn developing countries to continuing poverty. They need reliable energy and a lively free market rather than windmills and the likes of Robert Mugabe.
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 5 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 6 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 7 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 8 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 9 'Glad to see an end to 2020' - Anne-Marie Hamilton
- 10 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal
Rev Philip Foster