On ice - Huntingdon couple mark 50 years of marriage
A COLLISION during a Saturday-night ice-skating session was the first step towards 50 years of marriage for a Huntingdonshire couple.
Jim and Pat Heenan celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with friends and family last weekend.
Mr Heenan, 71, said: “We were great ice-skating addicts at the time and we would go every week at Perth ice rink. One night she just bumped into me by accident. That was about 54 years ago.”
They married in Perth in August 1961, where they lived until about 20 years ago.
The couple have one daughter, Nicola, 47, and two grandchildren – Emma, 26, and Christopher, 24.
You may also want to watch:
Mr and Mrs Heenan have made Huntingdonshire their home after moving from Scotland to be closer to their daughter about 22 years ago.
They lived in Rectory Gardens, Godmanchester, before moving to Springfield, Huntingdon, five years ago.
- 1 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 2 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 3 Harrowing video warning from seriously ill 20-year-old who survived Covid
- 4 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 5 First patients in St Ives to receive Covid-19 vaccination
- 6 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 7 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 8 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 9 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 10 24-hour speaking event supports mental health charity
Mr Heenan, a retired manager in the haulage industry, worked for Exel Logistics for 14 years, and Mrs Heenan, 68, worked for 20 years as a housing officer for Huntingdonshire District Council and latterly Luminus.
Mr Heenan said the couple had taken time to celebrate in style and had been spoiled by their family.
“It was a lovely weekend – we had a family party on the Friday night and then we were taken out for a meal on the Saturday. It was wonderful.”
Follow on Twitter: @markhuntspost