Olympic torch - half-hour detour would include St Neots
LIKE many other St Neots people, I am absolutely disgusted with the omission of the town from its journey around the UK.
The map you printed on your lead story (November 9) was misleading. The torch’s route was displayed as being transferred from Huntingdon to Bedford as the crow flies, but in reality the true route was down the A1 road further east.
A slight diversion off the A1 at Little Paxton to St Neots Common for transfer to a runner to carry the torch, via the Market Square, to Eaton Socon Green then resume its way by car to Bedford, would add only an extra half-hour to its journey.
This is yet another example of a lack of lateral thought on behalf of those local advisers on this important ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ event.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Letter of the Week: Brexit gain for food bank!
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 5 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 6 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 7 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 Wildlife group wants to hear about grass snake sightings
- 10 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'