Olympic torch - half-hour detour would include St Neots
LIKE many other St Neots people, I am absolutely disgusted with the omission of the town from its journey around the UK.
The map you printed on your lead story (November 9) was misleading. The torch’s route was displayed as being transferred from Huntingdon to Bedford as the crow flies, but in reality the true route was down the A1 road further east.
A slight diversion off the A1 at Little Paxton to St Neots Common for transfer to a runner to carry the torch, via the Market Square, to Eaton Socon Green then resume its way by car to Bedford, would add only an extra half-hour to its journey.
This is yet another example of a lack of lateral thought on behalf of those local advisers on this important ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ event.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 5 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 6 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 'Glad to see an end to 2020' - Anne-Marie Hamilton
- 9 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 10 Police investigation closed into deaths of two men in Hunts village