Olympic support for gym
I WRITE on behalf of the Huntingdon Gymnastics Club to thank all those councillors who rallied to its support at the meeting of the town council s finance committee on December 11, when Councillor Tom Sanderson s resolution proposing that the council gran
I WRITE on behalf of the Huntingdon Gymnastics Club to thank all those councillors who rallied to its support at the meeting of the town council's finance committee on December 11, when Councillor Tom Sanderson's resolution proposing that the council grant us the access rights (which it had always been able to do) was approved by a resounding majority of eight to two with one abstention by a councillor who is a trustee of the club and therefore cannot vote.
This overturned a previous decision by a few councillors who for some reason had adopted a stance against the gym, and the majority of the council were unaware of what was going on. Once they knew the full facts, they responded magnificently.
Apart from Cllr Sanderson (to whom we shall always be grateful), our ward councillor Gina Cruikshank worked tirelessly on the club's behalf, Cllr David Dransfield seconded the motion and the leader of the council, Lain Kadic, did much work behind the scenes.
The others who voted in favour were councillors Maggie Wheeler, Jennifer Sarabia, Susan Mulcahy and John Morgan. They cannot be praised too highly for showing that, while democracy in Westminster may be dying (or even dead), in Huntingdon it still lives.
What price now a gold for Louis Smith in 2012?
M J FOWLER (trustee)
- 1 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 2 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 3 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 4 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 5 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 6 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 7 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 8 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 9 Civil war event in Huntingdon this weekend
- 10 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
Huntingdon Gymnastics Club