Olympic support for gym
I WRITE on behalf of the Huntingdon Gymnastics Club to thank all those councillors who rallied to its support at the meeting of the town council s finance committee on December 11, when Councillor Tom Sanderson s resolution proposing that the council gran
I WRITE on behalf of the Huntingdon Gymnastics Club to thank all those councillors who rallied to its support at the meeting of the town council's finance committee on December 11, when Councillor Tom Sanderson's resolution proposing that the council grant us the access rights (which it had always been able to do) was approved by a resounding majority of eight to two with one abstention by a councillor who is a trustee of the club and therefore cannot vote.
This overturned a previous decision by a few councillors who for some reason had adopted a stance against the gym, and the majority of the council were unaware of what was going on. Once they knew the full facts, they responded magnificently.
Apart from Cllr Sanderson (to whom we shall always be grateful), our ward councillor Gina Cruikshank worked tirelessly on the club's behalf, Cllr David Dransfield seconded the motion and the leader of the council, Lain Kadic, did much work behind the scenes.
The others who voted in favour were councillors Maggie Wheeler, Jennifer Sarabia, Susan Mulcahy and John Morgan. They cannot be praised too highly for showing that, while democracy in Westminster may be dying (or even dead), in Huntingdon it still lives.
What price now a gold for Louis Smith in 2012?
M J FOWLER (trustee)
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 3 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 7 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Anglian Water seeks funding to secure the future of an ancient Sea Monster
- 10 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
Huntingdon Gymnastics Club