Old school may be developed
THE site of the old St Peter s School on Huntingdon ring-road, Brookside, is being considered by Huntingdonshire District Council for future development. The site has been vacant since the former school building was demolished in 2000 by its current owner
THE site of the old St Peter's School on Huntingdon ring-road, Brookside, is being considered by Huntingdonshire District Council for future development.
The site has been vacant since the former school building was demolished in 2000 by its current owners, Lidl UK, the discount store, which has been denied permission to build a shop there.
The land has recently been marketed for residential purposes, in line with the Local Plan and the draft framework gives information about the site and suggests a possible layout. The document also looks beyond the boundaries of the school site, considering pedestrian and cycle links from land to the north and also proposals of what could happen in the Cromwell Court area.
Councillor Nick Guyatt, executive councillor for planning strategy, said: "This is a very prominent site on the ring road. It is regrettable that the old school buildings were demolished before a suitable proposal had been agreed with the council. We are pleased that progress is now being made by the owners to release the land for development. Our urban design framework sets parameters for an appropriate residential development and will ensure that replacement buildings will be of a high standard to restore the image of this part of the town."
INFORMATION: The framework can be viewed on-line at www.huntsdc.gov.uk/ planning at Pathfinder House Planning Reception or at the town library. Comments should be submitted in writing to the Head of Planning by March 3.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000