Now Try This One
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified. Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 se
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified.
Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 season.
Mr Gowler's father George is in the front row, second from the left, though he was commonly known by his middle name of Alf. He died in 1980.
Many of the names captioned on the photographs will be familiar to Huntingdonshire. RA Copley was a member of the family firm of solicitors, FC Stiles' family owned a bakery opposite the Cromwell statue in St Ives, and HS Turner's family owned a chemist shop in Bridge Street.
Mr Gowler believes JF Juggins was a member of a farming family from Stukeley, while D Grove may have been a doctor from St Ives.
Mr Gowler said: "I would be pleased to learn of any further details of the men who played in the team with my father - though any of them still alive would now be well over 100."
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 3 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 4 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 5 House set alight in Brampton
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 8 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 9 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 10 Man who assaulted police officer claimed it was 'black magic'
INFORMATION: Do you know any of the men in the picture? E-mail email@example.com or call the news desk on 01480 411481.