Now Try This One
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified. Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 se
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified.
Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 season.
Mr Gowler's father George is in the front row, second from the left, though he was commonly known by his middle name of Alf. He died in 1980.
Many of the names captioned on the photographs will be familiar to Huntingdonshire. RA Copley was a member of the family firm of solicitors, FC Stiles' family owned a bakery opposite the Cromwell statue in St Ives, and HS Turner's family owned a chemist shop in Bridge Street.
Mr Gowler believes JF Juggins was a member of a farming family from Stukeley, while D Grove may have been a doctor from St Ives.
Mr Gowler said: "I would be pleased to learn of any further details of the men who played in the team with my father - though any of them still alive would now be well over 100."
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 5 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 10 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
INFORMATION: Do you know any of the men in the picture? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the news desk on 01480 411481.