Now Try This One
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified. Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 se
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified.
Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 season.
Mr Gowler's father George is in the front row, second from the left, though he was commonly known by his middle name of Alf. He died in 1980.
Many of the names captioned on the photographs will be familiar to Huntingdonshire. RA Copley was a member of the family firm of solicitors, FC Stiles' family owned a bakery opposite the Cromwell statue in St Ives, and HS Turner's family owned a chemist shop in Bridge Street.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gowler believes JF Juggins was a member of a farming family from Stukeley, while D Grove may have been a doctor from St Ives.
Mr Gowler said: "I would be pleased to learn of any further details of the men who played in the team with my father - though any of them still alive would now be well over 100."
- 1 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 5 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 6 Riley turns imagination into reality with best-selling adventure book
- 7 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 9 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 10 Covid business grant applications for Hunts explained
INFORMATION: Do you know any of the men in the picture? E-mail email@example.com or call the news desk on 01480 411481.