Now Try This One
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified. Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 se
Following our recent publication of sporting photographs from the first half of the 20th Century, another reader has come forward with an image to be identified.
Robin Gowler, from Fenstanton, dug out this picture of St Ives Rugby Club from the 1923-24 season.
Mr Gowler's father George is in the front row, second from the left, though he was commonly known by his middle name of Alf. He died in 1980.
Many of the names captioned on the photographs will be familiar to Huntingdonshire. RA Copley was a member of the family firm of solicitors, FC Stiles' family owned a bakery opposite the Cromwell statue in St Ives, and HS Turner's family owned a chemist shop in Bridge Street.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gowler believes JF Juggins was a member of a farming family from Stukeley, while D Grove may have been a doctor from St Ives.
Mr Gowler said: "I would be pleased to learn of any further details of the men who played in the team with my father - though any of them still alive would now be well over 100."
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 3 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 4 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
INFORMATION: Do you know any of the men in the picture? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the news desk on 01480 411481.