I WOULD like to assure Ellen Kemp (Letters, March 14) that Huntingdonshire district councillors do not receive 54.4p per mile for all their business mileage, only a small proportion. The allowances are a contribution towards expenses. They are set by a
I WOULD like to assure Ellen Kemp (Letters, March 14) that Huntingdonshire district councillors do not receive 54.4p per mile for all their "business" mileage, only a small proportion.
The allowances are a contribution towards expenses. They are set by an independent remuneration panel and take into account the fact that much of a councillor's work is voluntary.
I am able to claim mileage allowance for official council meetings only. For the costs I incur visiting constituents, attending site meetings or travelling to parish council meetings in the six villages within my ward, I claim nothing.
Far from being "ashamed", as suggested by Ellen Kemp, I am proud of my contribution to the community and do not complain that I am not fully compensated.
Councillor STEVE CRISWELL, Huntingdonshire District Council
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 4 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 7 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 8 Updated details of the Christmas lights switch-on in St Neots
- 9 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet