I WOULD like to assure Ellen Kemp (Letters, March 14) that Huntingdonshire district councillors do not receive 54.4p per mile for all their business mileage, only a small proportion. The allowances are a contribution towards expenses. They are set by a
I WOULD like to assure Ellen Kemp (Letters, March 14) that Huntingdonshire district councillors do not receive 54.4p per mile for all their "business" mileage, only a small proportion.
The allowances are a contribution towards expenses. They are set by an independent remuneration panel and take into account the fact that much of a councillor's work is voluntary.
I am able to claim mileage allowance for official council meetings only. For the costs I incur visiting constituents, attending site meetings or travelling to parish council meetings in the six villages within my ward, I claim nothing.
Far from being "ashamed", as suggested by Ellen Kemp, I am proud of my contribution to the community and do not complain that I am not fully compensated.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor STEVE CRISWELL, Huntingdonshire District Council
- 1 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 5 Riley turns imagination into reality with best-selling adventure book
- 6 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 7 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 9 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 10 Godmanchester community pulled together throughout the pandemic