I WOULD like to assure Ellen Kemp (Letters, March 14) that Huntingdonshire district councillors do not receive 54.4p per mile for all their business mileage, only a small proportion. The allowances are a contribution towards expenses. They are set by a
I WOULD like to assure Ellen Kemp (Letters, March 14) that Huntingdonshire district councillors do not receive 54.4p per mile for all their "business" mileage, only a small proportion.
The allowances are a contribution towards expenses. They are set by an independent remuneration panel and take into account the fact that much of a councillor's work is voluntary.
I am able to claim mileage allowance for official council meetings only. For the costs I incur visiting constituents, attending site meetings or travelling to parish council meetings in the six villages within my ward, I claim nothing.
Far from being "ashamed", as suggested by Ellen Kemp, I am proud of my contribution to the community and do not complain that I am not fully compensated.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor STEVE CRISWELL, Huntingdonshire District Council
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 5 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 6 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 7 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 8 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 9 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 10 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter