No option’ over school site
A THIRD primary school for Cambourne is likely to be built on the Jeavons Wood site – despite concerns raised by residents and the county council. The school is set to open in temporary buildings in Upper Cambourne in September 2008, but parents have sa
A THIRD primary school for Cambourne is likely to be built on the Jeavons Wood site - despite concerns raised by residents and the county council.
The school is set to open in temporary buildings in Upper Cambourne in September 2008, but parents have said it is in the wrong place and Cambridgeshire County Council has said it "shares residents concerns". Parents are worried about road safety and the need to protect the trees at Jeavons Wood.
They believe people would prefer the school to be built in Lower Cambourne, providing a primary school in each of Cambourne's three settlements.
Due to opposition, the county council had asked developers to investigate other sites but they have failed to identify any.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the county council said: "We proposed the site and opened it up to public consultation. We realise residents have concerns and we listened to and shared their concerns.
"It is disappointing that the developers have not proposed another site. We, therefore, have no option but to build a third primary school in Jeavons Wood. We cannot delay any longer on a third as it is needed and work needs to start."
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 3 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 4 Family-run business with expanding reputation
- 5 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 8 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
- 9 For sale: Carefully crafted, new build homes with generous plots in rural village of Clopton
- 10 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
Cambourne Parish Council chairman Ruth Pulton said she felt torn over the issue.
She said: "As a planning authority, we have to stay neutral and make our decision based on the plans but I feel torn because I know people are not happy about the site of the third school, but I do not see where else it can go."
Developers Cambourne Consortium were not available for comment.