New Huntingdon group to help those suffering sight loss
READY TO HELP: A new sight-loss support group has been set up for people in Huntingdon.
The group, which will offer support to people with macular disease, meets on the second Tuesday of every month from 1.30pm to 3.30pm at Huntingdonshire Community Church in Huntingdon High Street.
Macular disease causes a loss of central vision, and can make it difficult for people to carry out everyday tasks such as watching television, shopping, reading or even recognising faces.
The group gives people the chance to share hints and tips and offer each other support and friendship, while a variety of speakers will attend meetings to ensure members ate kept up to date about how to access local support and treatments.
Marjorie Smith, one of the group’s members, said: “I was only diagnosed last year and wasn’t given much information to help me understand my condition.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted to meet other people with the condition and get feedback on what to expect in the future because I was never told. I don’t know anyone with macular disease – I’ve gone online and read a bit about it but it’s so different to get knowledge first hand from people who actually know what it’s like.”
INFORMATION: Anyone interested in joining can go along to a meeting - the next is Tuesday, May 10. For more information, or for support or practical advice, contact the Macular Disease Society on 0845 241 2041 or e-mail email@example.com
- 1 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 2 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 3 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 New plans on the horizon for Black Cat Radio