New honour for local magistrate
HUNTINGDONSHIRE magistrate Michael Williamson, pictured, can now carry a sword in public without having to appear before himself accused of carrying a bladed implement. The sword – and spurs – are part of the regalia worn by one of Her Majesty s Deputy Li
HUNTINGDONSHIRE magistrate Michael Williamson, pictured, can now carry a sword in public without having to appear before himself accused of carrying a bladed implement.
The sword - and spurs - are part of the regalia worn by one of Her Majesty's Deputy Lieutenants of Cambridgeshire, a post to which he has just been appointed by the Lord Lieutenant, Hugh Duberly.
Mr Williamson, a stalwart and past chairman of the parish council in Holywell-cum-Needingworth, was chairman of the Cambridgeshire Police Authority from 2004 until he stood down earlier this year. He remains a member of the authority until next April.
He was chairman of the Huntingdonshire and Peterborough sub-committee of the Lord Lieutenant's Advisory Committee. He is treasurer of the British American Community Relations Committee at RAF Alconbury, a founder member and trustee of the Anthony Trollope Society, and past chairman of the Shakespeare at The George Trust, Huntingdon.
"It's a great honour and I'm extremely touched and surprised," he told The Hunts Post. "The commission came through on my birthday, which was really nice."
The function of Deputy Lieutenant is to assist in the performance of any public duty performed by the Lord Lieutenant.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 4 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 7 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 8 Updated details of the Christmas lights switch-on in St Neots
- 9 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
Lords Lieutenant are The Queen's personal representatives in a county or area. Their prime duty is to uphold the dignity of the Crown by arranging visits by members of the Royal family and escorting Royal visitors; presentation of medals and awards on behalf of Her Majesty; participation in civic, voluntary and social activities with the lieutenancy; and liaison with local units of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army, Royal Air Force and their associated cadet forces.
Mr Williamson's first official duty will be at the justice service in Peterborough Cathedral on Sunday and taking part in the Lord Lieutenant's procession.