Neighbour’s action commended by fire service
A BRAVE neighbour who burned his hands putting out a fire has been commended by the fire service. The electrical fire resulted in two small explosions in Eaton Socon. A fire crew from Huntingdon was called to Prince Close, on Monday (October 23) after tw
A BRAVE neighbour who burned his hands putting out a fire has been commended by the fire service. The electrical fire resulted in two small explosions in Eaton Socon.
A fire crew from Huntingdon was called to Prince Close, on Monday (October 23) after two brick sheds caught alight. When the crew arrived on the scene the fire, which is believed to have been started by a faulty electrical appliance, had been extinguished by a neighbour using a fire extinguisher.
Huntingdon crew manager Kevin Napier, said: "We commend the efforts of the brave neighbour in attacking the fire and successfully extinguishing it prior to our arrival. His actions certainly prevented the fire from developing into a serious situation considering the contents of the buildings."
Extensive damage was caused to one of the buildings after the fire ignited paints, thinners and old newspaper which were also stored in the shed, causing two small explosions.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service is now advising members of the public to take care when storing flammable items.
Mr Napier, added: "I would appeal to householders to consider the items that they store in their sheds and outbuildings, and understand the implications storing these flammable items has should they become exposed to heat or involved in fire."
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 3 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 7 Recap: Lorry and car crash at A141-A1307 junction in Huntingdon
- 8 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 9 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 10 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
INFORMATION: For fire safety advice contact your local fire station or telephone 01480 52567 and ask to speak to the community fire safety officer.