Names suggested for £10million Huntingdon link road
- Credit: Archant
An opening date for the Huntingdon link road is expected by the end of the week but Huntingdonshire District Council remain tight-lipped about its future name.
As developers, HDC get to name the £10million road, which runs between Huntingdon Railway Station and Ermine Street, and is set to reveal the name at the opening ceremony.
Last week, we asked our readers to come up with a suitable name to help fire the imagination in HDC officers’ brains.
Ben Sansum recommends naming the road after Silent Channel, one time Huntingdon’s biggest employer and where his parent met in 1959. Mr Sansum, whose aunts and grandfather also worked there, suggests Silent Channel or Channel Road.
John Leaden carries on a similar theme, coming up with Scotney Way, after the Scotney builders who had a depot at the station before moving to Ermine Street, Huntingdon, in the late 60s. Mr Leaden, of Euston Street, Huntingdon, said: “I worked in the Ermine Street store for several years until 1968.
“This firm was run by a well-known, respected family for many years and I feel that by having a presence at either end of the link road, I would like to see it named Scotney Way.”
John Aitken, of Stukeley Meadows, suggested Ermine Way or Stukeley Way and Patricia Palmer, of Godmanchester, recommended Cromwell Road.
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Could you give these pets a home?
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary
n What would you like the new link road to be called? Send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.