Murder Inquiry As St Ives Man Found Dead In Prison Cell
A MURDER inquiry is under way after a former St Ives taxi driver was found dead in Peterborough prison. The unconscious body of 33-year-old Brian Haynes was found slumped in his cell at about 8pm on Thursday night. Nine men have been arrested in the after
A MURDER inquiry is under way after a former St Ives taxi driver was found dead in Peterborough prison.
The unconscious body of 33-year-old Brian Haynes was found slumped in his cell at about 8pm on Thursday night.
Nine men have been arrested in the aftermath of the incident at the Saville Road jail, which is a category B prison.
All the arrested men have been 'bailed' and ordered to attend police stations across the county on November 11.
You may also want to watch:
Haynes, formerly of High Leys in St Ives, was jailed for four years in December 2007 for a violent rampage with a baseball bat.
Attempts were made to revive the prisoner, who was also a suspected drug-dealer, but he was pronounced dead at the scene an hour later.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 7 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
A post-mortem was carried out on Friday, but the cause of death has not yet been established.
A police spokesman said on Monday (September 15): "Police have arrested nine people in relation to the incident. Inquiries are ongoing and other inmates are being interviewed.
"Police are working with the prison ombudsman and prison staff on the investigation.