Murder Inquiry As St Ives Man Found Dead In Prison Cell
A MURDER inquiry is under way after a former St Ives taxi driver was found dead in Peterborough prison. The unconscious body of 33-year-old Brian Haynes was found slumped in his cell at about 8pm on Thursday night. Nine men have been arrested in the after
A MURDER inquiry is under way after a former St Ives taxi driver was found dead in Peterborough prison.
The unconscious body of 33-year-old Brian Haynes was found slumped in his cell at about 8pm on Thursday night.
Nine men have been arrested in the aftermath of the incident at the Saville Road jail, which is a category B prison.
All the arrested men have been 'bailed' and ordered to attend police stations across the county on November 11.
Haynes, formerly of High Leys in St Ives, was jailed for four years in December 2007 for a violent rampage with a baseball bat.
Attempts were made to revive the prisoner, who was also a suspected drug-dealer, but he was pronounced dead at the scene an hour later.
- 1 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 2 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 3 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Council chiefs left with 'no option' other than tax hike
- 10 See the average house price for Cambridgeshire's 'top' villages
A post-mortem was carried out on Friday, but the cause of death has not yet been established.
A police spokesman said on Monday (September 15): "Police have arrested nine people in relation to the incident. Inquiries are ongoing and other inmates are being interviewed.
"Police are working with the prison ombudsman and prison staff on the investigation.