Mural daubed with gun crime messages
A ST Neots landmark that was given a facelift last year to capture the character of the town has now been covered with anti-gun crime messages. Duloe Underpass in Duloe Road was painted with a mural of the town in March 2006 by a group of street artists.
A ST Neots landmark that was given a facelift last year to capture the character of the town has now been covered with anti-gun crime messages.
Duloe Underpass in Duloe Road was painted with a mural of the town in March 2006 by a group of street artists. The aim of the painting, which depicted familiar sites of St Neots including the town bridge, was to improve the appearance of the underpass whilst demonstrating a form of street art.
The project had been designed to encourage street artists to express themselves.
When the mural was completed in 2006, Jonnie Barton who led the project said: "Painting the Duloe underpass is something we have wanted to do for a long time. It's great to be able to see it look fantastic."
You may also want to watch:
The project was supported by Huntingdonshire District Council and funded by the Rotary Clubs of St Neots and the Community and Voluntary Forum.
Now, the colourful mural has been painted over. Where there were once images paying homage to the town's heritage, there are now pictures of youths holding guns with the message "Put the guns down. Murder ain't a bloodsport."
- 1 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 2 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 3 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 4 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 7 Solar farm plan will have no impact on 'light, noise or smell'
- 8 Tickets on sale now for this summer's Shakespeare at the George
- 9 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 10 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
There is also list of gun crime victims written on the underpass including the most recent victim, 11-year-old Rhys Jones who died last month in Liverpool.
A resident who phoned The Hunts Post to inform us of the vandalism said: "The mural was beautiful and now it just looks a mess."
Rob Murray who is a member of the St Neots Rotary Club and helped fundraise for the original mural, which cost £2,500 said: "It is such a shame. The Highways Agency and Police gave the youngsters from the New Ramp Group in St Neots permission to paint the mural last year and they worked really hard on it. Now it is ruined."
INFORMATION: Duloe Underpass is the bridge under the A1 at the top of Eaton Socon. Anyone with information relating to the vandalism of Duloe Underpass should contact police on 0845 4564564 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0845 4564564.