Mum and daughter top of knit parade
A MOTHER and daughter have knitted more than 1,500 jumpers for children in Third World countries. Val Miles, 71, from Hartford, and her 94-year-old mother Doris Newman, from Hemingford Grey, have knitted 1,526 jumpers over a 25-year period. They manage
A MOTHER and daughter have knitted more than 1,500 jumpers for children in Third World countries.
Val Miles, 71, from Hartford, and her 94-year-old mother Doris Newman, from Hemingford Grey, have knitted 1,526 jumpers over a 25-year period.
They managed to knit 1,196 sweaters for Oxfam's mission to Botswana. They went on to knit a further 210 for the Salavation Army and have just completed 120 for Hope and Aid Direct.
Val said: "We are both sports fanatics. I love tennis and I knitted through the night when the Australians were playing.
"There is a big demand for sweaters in Kosovo. People forget that because some countries have managed to recover others haven't."
The pair started by knitting jumpers out of left over wool but when they ran out wool was donated by friends and family.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 6 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 7 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 8 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 9 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
- 10 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
Between them, the pair have 24 grandchildren, 37 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.
Hope and Aid Direct are appealing for knitters to come forward to provide woollen items of clothing for the charity to take to Kosovo in the autumn.
INFORMATION: To find out more you can visit the website www.hopeandaiddirect.org.uk or phone Simon Jones on 01487 841406.