Mum and daughter top of knit parade
A MOTHER and daughter have knitted more than 1,500 jumpers for children in Third World countries. Val Miles, 71, from Hartford, and her 94-year-old mother Doris Newman, from Hemingford Grey, have knitted 1,526 jumpers over a 25-year period. They manage
A MOTHER and daughter have knitted more than 1,500 jumpers for children in Third World countries.
Val Miles, 71, from Hartford, and her 94-year-old mother Doris Newman, from Hemingford Grey, have knitted 1,526 jumpers over a 25-year period.
They managed to knit 1,196 sweaters for Oxfam's mission to Botswana. They went on to knit a further 210 for the Salavation Army and have just completed 120 for Hope and Aid Direct.
Val said: "We are both sports fanatics. I love tennis and I knitted through the night when the Australians were playing.
"There is a big demand for sweaters in Kosovo. People forget that because some countries have managed to recover others haven't."
The pair started by knitting jumpers out of left over wool but when they ran out wool was donated by friends and family.
- 1 Pub regulars celebrate life of former landlord who died during pandemic
- 2 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 5 Dry weather continues to impact district as pond drys up in Ramsey
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Number of bird flu cases have been confirmed in Huntingdonshire
- 8 Fun in the sun at Huntingdon Carnival 2022
- 9 Riverside Miniature Railway raises flag in record breaking year
- 10 Permanent Friday home for HCCN group
Between them, the pair have 24 grandchildren, 37 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.
Hope and Aid Direct are appealing for knitters to come forward to provide woollen items of clothing for the charity to take to Kosovo in the autumn.
INFORMATION: To find out more you can visit the website www.hopeandaiddirect.org.uk or phone Simon Jones on 01487 841406.