Mum and daughter top of knit parade
A MOTHER and daughter have knitted more than 1,500 jumpers for children in Third World countries. Val Miles, 71, from Hartford, and her 94-year-old mother Doris Newman, from Hemingford Grey, have knitted 1,526 jumpers over a 25-year period. They manage
A MOTHER and daughter have knitted more than 1,500 jumpers for children in Third World countries.
Val Miles, 71, from Hartford, and her 94-year-old mother Doris Newman, from Hemingford Grey, have knitted 1,526 jumpers over a 25-year period.
They managed to knit 1,196 sweaters for Oxfam's mission to Botswana. They went on to knit a further 210 for the Salavation Army and have just completed 120 for Hope and Aid Direct.
Val said: "We are both sports fanatics. I love tennis and I knitted through the night when the Australians were playing.
You may also want to watch:
"There is a big demand for sweaters in Kosovo. People forget that because some countries have managed to recover others haven't."
The pair started by knitting jumpers out of left over wool but when they ran out wool was donated by friends and family.
- 1 Woman left with a ‘bloodied nose’ in Huntingdon
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Jail for Fenstanton man who groomed teenager
- 4 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 5 Do you remember the old Megatron at Alconbury?
- 6 Woman in her 60s 'remains in serious condition' after B1514 crash
- 7 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
- 8 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Historic St Ives former grammar school site set for houses after £1m sale
- 10 Family pay tribute to great grandfather who died in Buckden Road crash
Between them, the pair have 24 grandchildren, 37 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.
Hope and Aid Direct are appealing for knitters to come forward to provide woollen items of clothing for the charity to take to Kosovo in the autumn.
INFORMATION: To find out more you can visit the website www.hopeandaiddirect.org.uk or phone Simon Jones on 01487 841406.