MP supports Carers’ Week
SOUTH C ambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley, whose constituency includes Papworth, Caxton and Cambourne, is backing the one in 10 adults who care for friends, relatives or partners. The Shadow Health Secretary is joining forces with top celebrities, including
SOUTH C ambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley, whose constituency includes Papworth, Caxton and Cambourne, is backing the one in 10 adults who care for friends, relatives or partners.
The Shadow Health Secretary is joining forces with top celebrities, including TV presenter Gloria Hunniford and actor David Jason to lend his support to the 12th annual Carers' Week from June 12 to18.
The event aims to raise awareness of the six million carers in the UK today - people who look after a sick, frail or disabled friend or loved one. The 2006 theme is the health and emotional well-being of carers.
Mr Lansley said: "Many carers give up an income, future employment prospects and pension rights to look after someone, so it's crucial they receive support. I urge every carer to contact their local carers' group or social services to find out about the help they are entitled to."
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: Carers' Week is organised by a partnership of eight UK-wide charities - Carers UK, Crossroads Caring for Carers, Counsel and Care, Help the Aged, Macmillan Cancer Support, MS Society, Rethink and The Princess Royal Trust for Carers.
- 1 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 2 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 3 St Neots care assistant Jack set to shine in BBC Three's Glow Up
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 6 Ventriloquist shares career highlights after retiring in Huntingdon
- 7 Memories of St Neots' town centre
- 8 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 9 For sale: Spacious two bedroom bungalow with generous plots in Hartford
- 10 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'