MP supports Carers’ Week
SOUTH C ambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley, whose constituency includes Papworth, Caxton and Cambourne, is backing the one in 10 adults who care for friends, relatives or partners. The Shadow Health Secretary is joining forces with top celebrities, including
SOUTH C ambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley, whose constituency includes Papworth, Caxton and Cambourne, is backing the one in 10 adults who care for friends, relatives or partners.
The Shadow Health Secretary is joining forces with top celebrities, including TV presenter Gloria Hunniford and actor David Jason to lend his support to the 12th annual Carers' Week from June 12 to18.
The event aims to raise awareness of the six million carers in the UK today - people who look after a sick, frail or disabled friend or loved one. The 2006 theme is the health and emotional well-being of carers.
Mr Lansley said: "Many carers give up an income, future employment prospects and pension rights to look after someone, so it's crucial they receive support. I urge every carer to contact their local carers' group or social services to find out about the help they are entitled to."
INFORMATION: Carers' Week is organised by a partnership of eight UK-wide charities - Carers UK, Crossroads Caring for Carers, Counsel and Care, Help the Aged, Macmillan Cancer Support, MS Society, Rethink and The Princess Royal Trust for Carers.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 Elderly woman dies in serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 4 House set alight in Brampton
- 5 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 6 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 7 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Pedestrian killed crossing road