A YOUNG mother of three who suffered extreme pain from a kidney complaint died after an accidental overdose of her painkiller, an inquest heard. Carly Towers, 25, from Turberville Court in Hemingford Grey, went into hospital eight times without the proble
A YOUNG mother of three who suffered extreme pain from a kidney complaint died after an accidental overdose of her painkiller, an inquest heard.
Carly Towers, 25, from Turberville Court in Hemingford Grey, went into hospital eight times without the problem ever being solved.
She was first admitted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge in August 2004 with severe pain. She was found to have stones and a cyst in her right kidney. The same month a tube was inserted from her kidney to her bladder to drain off fluid.
Nimish Shan, a consultant at Addenbrooke's who had been taking care of Ms Towers, said she had been admitted to hospital eight times, twice for surgery.
She was first seen in August 2004 and the following month six stones were removed. However, at the end of October, when the pain continued unabated, it was found one stone had been left behind.
In February the following year, laser treatment was applied to the stone to break it up.
However, the pain still continued and Ms Towers was re-admitted to hospital in June, in July twice, and in August and September.
Meanwhile, Ms Towers, who leaves two boys aged five and seven, and a daughter of three, was prescribed morphine for the pain, two doses of 100 milligrammes a day and tablets of 30 milligrammes as a top-up when she needed it.
Ms Towers was found dead in the afternoon of October 26 last year by her boyfriend, Brendan Williams, 24, a chef from St Ives. He told the inquest they had stayed up late the previous evening watching television and when he left in the morning he thought she was asleep.
When he returned from work, he tried to wake her.
He then ran over the road to her mother's home and they tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate her, taking instruction from the ambulance service.
Coroner, Dr Colin Lattimore, sitting in Huntingdon, said kidney complaints could lead to a condition called renal colic which created extreme pain.
Dr Lattimore said: "Even when Carly was in hospital and having 100 milligrammes of morphine twice a day, she still needed a top-up for the severe pain."
Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, Dr Lattimore said: "Carly did not always take all her medication, she took it when she felt she needed it. There were boxes of liquid morphine found in her home unused. She took the drug to relieve the pain she could not cope with."
Speaking after the inquest, a spokesman for Ms Towers' family said: "She was a free spirit and lovely and we all loved her dearly. We miss her very much.