Mortar this fund-raising than you might think!
A NEW fund-raising campaign has been launched at a Huntingdonshire primary school to kick-start a long-awaited plan to update the classrooms and facilities. Abbots Ripton CofE Primary School, which was built in 1963, would like to build a new classroom, t
A NEW fund-raising campaign has been launched at a Huntingdonshire primary school to kick-start a long-awaited plan to update the classrooms and facilities.
Abbots Ripton CofE Primary School, which was built in 1963, would like to build a new classroom, two meeting rooms, a covered play area, modernised its toilets, extend the staff room and provide a fully equipped library and media suite.
The majority of the funds for the £750,000 project has been provided by the Ely Diocese. The school, however, still needs to find a contribution of more than £35,000.
Linda Nixon, speaking on behalf of the school's fundraising committee, said: "This is a huge task for a small school and we have a few things we are going to do to help us achieve this target."
You may also want to watch:
Among the fundraising events planned by the school is an auction of promises on Saturday, October 14, which will include some fantastic prizes.
People will be able to bid for a signed Manchester United shirt, a weekend for two at any Hilton hotel, a family bowling trip at Lakeside lodge, and Paddock passes for Huntingdon races.
- 1 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
A buy a brick campaign has also been launched giving people the chance to become part of the history of Abbots Ripton School.
A foundation brick costs £50 and a building costs £5.
Mrs Nixon added: "We especially want to appeal to past pupils of the school who might be interested in our plans. There will be a permanent record of contributors within our new extension and a certificate for every purchase.
"Anything anyone can do to help us will be invaluable. This is a very happy school where the children remain at the heart of everything we do."
INFORMATION: Tickets for the auction are on sale at the school office for £1.50. To buy a brick contact Linda Nixon on 01487 773318 or write to her at Abbots Ripton CofE School, Wennington Road, Abbots Ripton, Cambs. PE28 2LT.