Mixed reaction from MEPs
AFTER reading the comments of Derek Norman, chairman of the Hunts and Cambs branch of the UK Independence Party, (Letters, October 22) I would like to ask him a question. If he and, I assume, his party are so completely united in their stand against the E
AFTER reading the comments of Derek Norman, chairman of the Hunts and Cambs branch of the UK Independence Party, (Letters, October 22) I would like to ask him a question. If he and, I assume, his party are so completely united in their stand against the European Parliament, why do they have two active representatives in the shape of Jeffrey Titford and Tom Wise?
Isn't it contradictory to preach what a waste of time and money they are, and then to jump on the bandwagon and, in doing so, make a mockery of your beliefs?
I thought that in Parliament, if you disagreed with something, you voted against it, or abstained.
I would like to correct myself in something I wrote earlier, when I described Jeffery Titford as an active MEP, which is very misleading. I sent an e-mail to all the seven East of England MEPs, on October 16, asking if they could clarify the procedure and legality of a practice governed by the European Parliament, and this was their response:
You may also want to watch:
Geoffrey Van Orden, Conservative - acknowledged receipt of e-mail: no further action.
Jeffery Titford, UK Independence - ignored e-mail.
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 3 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 4 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 5 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 6 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 7 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Brampton butchers win awards for delicious pies and sausages
- 10 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
Richard Howitt: Labour - made excuses and refused to take any action.
Robert Sturdy, Conservative - acknowledged receipt of e-mail: no further action.
Andrew Duff, Liberal Democrat - responded immediately, checked the procedure and legality of my enquiry, and e-mailed, ASAP, all results, plus useful information and websites. I received a subsequent e-mail from his office saying he was making further enquiries. Could not be more impressed.
Christopher Beazley, Conservative - ignored e-mail.
Tom Wise, UK Independence - e-mail forwarded to Tom Wise in Brussels - no further action.
I'll admit I didn't expect much help from the Conservatives, but the UK Independence MEPs' response surprised me. As for the Labour MEP, I am unable to put in print what I think of Richard Howitt, as my letter would have no chance of being published. Finally, my sincere thanks go to Andrew Duff and his team especially Steve Marshall. You've got my vote,