HOW sad to read Mr Entwistle s letter (May 31) regarding receiving such a limited education in Huntingdon that he does not recognise a yard is 0.9 metres. The Land Registry still uses ± 0.9 metres or 900mm as the measurement accuracy for site maps. You ca
HOW sad to read Mr Entwistle's letter (May 31) regarding receiving such a limited education in Huntingdon that he does not recognise a yard is 0.9 metres. The Land Registry still uses ± 0.9 metres or 900mm as the measurement accuracy for site maps. You can guess where that came from.
Metrication does not mean counting in tens, which would have been better but counting in thousands because decimetres and centimetres have been eliminated. Hence we use kilometres and kilogrammes.
I started school in 1910 when all elementary schools taught both imperial and metric. Besides dimensions in feet and inches and weights in pounds and ounces we had 35 mm films, 500cc motorcycles, metre-bridges in physics, atomic weights in grammes and wavelengths in metres, whichever was most convenient.
I survived two world wars in which we fought to protect the freedom of Britain. We used to have freedom of choice to use metric or imperial. Now I would be a criminal and risk jail if I traded only in imperial units.
You may also want to watch:
You can see how brainwashing in school, ever-increasing legislation and the thought-police are gradually changing this once democratic country into an autocratic communist-style police state ruled by Europe.
HENRY ASHCROFT, Kings Ripton Road, Huntingdon
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 5 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 6 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 7 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 8 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 9 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 10 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement