Memories of Buckden evacuation
IN September 1939, Tollington School from North London was evacuated to Buckden, an enormous upheaval which turned out well – so well in fact that we have since had a number of reunions in the village where we spent so many happy times. Those of who are s
IN September 1939, Tollington School from North London was evacuated to Buckden, an enormous upheaval which turned out well - so well in fact that we have since had a number of reunions in the village where we spent so many happy times.
Those of who are still left are organising the 70th and final reunion at The Towers, this year with a difference. There won't just be the usual get-together lunch for old schoolmates, but this time a tea party on Saturday September 12, at which we hope to entertain as many of the relatives of our former hosts as are still in the area.
On a personal note, I was very happily billeted with widowed Mrs Loakes and her daughter Phyllis in the first row of cottages in Lucks Lane. Just two doors along was another Mr Loakes (perhaps a nephew) who was a builder and decorator with a Mr. Dunkley from Brampton, and there was also another nephew who was a master-baker in Kimbolton.
Further up the lane, my late brother David was very well looked after by Mr and Mrs Frank Newman, whose elder son Eric is still in the village. We've kept in touch over the years and look forward to welcoming Eric and Elsie in September.
You may also want to watch:
It would be good to hear from anyone whose relatives hosted Tollington evacuees, with a view to meeting up with them later on, so please don't hesitate to get in touch on 0117 909 8321 or email@example.com
- 1 Woman left with a ‘bloodied nose’ in Huntingdon
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Jail for Fenstanton man who groomed teenager
- 4 Volunteers needed for memorial nature reserve
- 5 Family pay tribute to great grandfather who died in Buckden Road crash
- 6 Secret Garden Party to return after five years
- 7 Do you remember the old Megatron at Alconbury?
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Woman in her 60s 'remains in serious condition' after B1514 crash
- 10 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours