TWO-YEAR-OLD Maxwell McKnight from Eaton Socon was beaming when he sat for the first time in his new £16,500 specially adapted wheelchair. His family began a fundraising appeal after Maxwell was born with a genetic disease that means he has a weakness of
TWO-YEAR-OLD Maxwell McKnight from Eaton Socon was beaming when he sat for the first time in his new £16,500 specially adapted wheelchair.
His family began a fundraising appeal after Maxwell was born with a genetic disease that means he has a weakness of the muscles, known as spinal muscular atrophy.
His father, Paul, said: "The wheelchair is all singing and dancing. He is getting used to the speed of the chair, it moves at a jogging pace."
Maxwell, who has a six-week-old baby sister Jasmine, will start at Eaton Socon Pre-School in January.
You may also want to watch:
The efforts of his parents, Paul and Joanne, were helped by The Variety Club of Great Britain which gave them £7,500, a grant from the NHS of £3,500 and St Neots-based The Mortgage Broker's fundraising ball, which raised £1,000.
They also received £5,000 from a masonic charity called Wheels for Martin and £1,000 from two friends, Mike Yelland and David Boden, who ran the St Neots Marathon.
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 9 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
Mr McKnight said: "The response has been overwhelming. What seemed liked a huge mountain has been levelled off by the great donations and everyone's support.